Thursday, August 17, 2006

Real World Ethical Dilemmas (5)

Q. Help! It seems like all I do these days is talk to spokespeople and copy pre-packaged quotes from press releases. I do all my reporting by phone and I haven't left the newsroom in months. Tell me, I am becoming a hack?

A. Not at all. To be honest, I think you're still laboring under the notion that talking to "real people" is in any way, shape or form "real journalism." Hey, let's be honest. You know what kind of reporter talks to the great unwashed? A general assignment reporter that's who. Really, do you want to keep writing stories about car crashes out on the highway? Is covering the East Booneville Pumpkin Festival something you want to be doing for the rest of your life?

No, under the best of conditions, the only time you should leave your desk is for lunch and to get another cup of coffee. The world outside the newsroom is great big scary place and the farther you keep it away from you, the better you'll be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Website Counter